Live Exchange Rates - USD/CAD
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
USD/CAD at a Glance
U.S. Dollar (Currency code: USD)
- Central bank: The Federal Reserve System (also known as the Federal Reserve, or the Fed)
- The USD (also called the greenback or buck) is the de facto global currency. Most commodities (including gold and oil) are priced in USD.
- The U.S.A. has by far the largest economy in the world.
- America faces challenges from developing economies, and has consistently large trade deficits with other nations.
Canadian Dollar (Currency code: CAD)
- Central bank: The Bank of Canada
- The Canadian dollar (CAD) is also known as the loonie.
- The CAD is called a “commodity currency” because Canada is a world leader in resource exports: oil, lumber, fish, food, and many types of minerals—copper, nickel, potash, uranium, gold.
- Canada usually has a modest trade surplus, with 70% of its exports going to the U.S.