Live Exchange Rates - EUR/GBP
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
EUR/GBP at a Glance
Euro (Currency code: EUR)
- Central bank: The European Central Bank
- The euro (sometimes called “fibre”) is used by over 320 million Europeans and 17 nations in the eurozone (euro area).
- Over 175 million people use currencies pegged to the euro, such as the Danish krona (DKK) and West African CFA franc (XOF).
- Eurozone economies vary widely. Germany is the largest economy, and a leading world exporter. Other economies (Ireland, Greece) endure sovereign debt and severe government austerity measures.
British Pound Sterling (Currency code: GBP)
- Central bank: The Bank of England
- The pound (also called “cable”) is the world’s oldest currency still in use and was the de facto global currency until WW II.
- The economy of Great Britain (or the United Kingdom) is the third largest in Europe, after Germany and France.
- Napoleon famously called the UK “a nation of shopkeepers”. Banking, insurance, and business services still account for a large proportion of the British GDP.