Systems Engineering Team Lead, Toronto
We have come a long way since our first currency feed 23 years ago, we are an award-winning global company offering leading currency solutions for both retail and corporate clients, from a tech start-up to a global corporation. Founded in 1996, we became the first company to share exchange rate information on the internet free of charge and in 2001, we launched a trading platform that helped pioneer the development of online-based trading around the world, enabling forex and CFD investors the ability to trade the financial markets. Our vision is to transform how our clients can meet all of their currency needs with innovative and award-winning solutions. Under new ownership with significant ambitions to grow the business on the global stage, we are looking for highly motivated, passionate individuals who want to make a mark in a dynamic environment.
Systems Engineering Team lead
We are currently looking for a Team Lead for our Systems Engineering group. As the lead of this team you will be helping the team to keep advancing our infrastructure both hands on and as a facilitator for the team. Your years of experience will allow to quickly onboard and build a strong relationship with the team.
Our technology is the foundation that the OANDA platform is built on. Infrastructure spans multiple data centres with many devices working together. As a technical expert you will help drive the team members constant push to learn and implement new technology and best practices.
This role will work closely with development teams, technical operations and business stakeholders to manage infrastructure projects and processes.
This is a role for someone who is a great communicator who enjoys solving problems, likes to automate and constantly learn with a keen attention to detail. Having a solid background in a DevOps or production ops style role will help you to succeed!
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, coordination, and personnel management of a team of senior individual contributors - Sysadmin, Network, Storage
- Prioritization of teams priorities for Triage requests and Projects
- Along with day to day work, focus on coaching through 1:1’s, team skillset development and understanding the challenges facing the team
- Interfacing with other engineering teams for planning, prioritizing or other requests as they come in
- Oversee global production and dev environments both on-prem and cloud platforms including network, compute, and storage infrastructure
- Escalation point for emergency issues and prioritizing maintenance plans
- Help implement process improvements, documentation, tooling and automation
- Work closely with the project manager to keep project tracking current
- Working with company stakeholders to provide and deliver necessary infrastructure solutions, including capacity planning
- Vendor management, including procurement, renewals, and escalations when problems arise
- Identify areas of system improvement from an operations perspective
- Development and maintaining of team and infrastructure KPI’s while working with management
- Assist with budgeting, department direction and continuous improvement. Make suggestions and propose solutions
- 5+ years experience leading an infrastructure team including remote members
- 7+ years hands on experience with Systems, Network, or Storage Administration
- Experience with Red Hat or CentOS in a production environment
- Hands-on experience with large scale deployment automation and configuration
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of client-server architecture and distributed systems
- Familiarity with Agile and SCRUM
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Familiar with physical colocation and working with datacenter providers
- Experience with cloud services and providers in a hybrid environment
- Strong knowledge in Linux/Unix and networking is a must
- Experience with Linux, Windows and Solaris, and virtualization technologies (KVM, VMWare)
- Solid understanding of UNIX: deployment, maintenance, monitoring, and debugging
- Solid understanding of configuration/orchestration management technologies
- Strong working experience with ITIL
- Experience creating a hybrid cloud compute environment (GCP/AWS)
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure with a clear head and always move forward
OANDA Global Corporation is a diverse and global team with offices around the world. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to OANDA. We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect and one which reflects the diversity of the community in which we operate. We provide an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible