Platform Engineer- Networking, Toronto
About OANDA We have come a long way since our first currency feed 23 years ago, we are an award-winning global company offering leading currency solutions for both retail and corporate clients, from a tech start-up to a global corporation. Founded in 1996, we became the first company to share exchange rate information on the internet free of charge and in 2001, we launched a trading platform that helped pioneer the development of online-based trading around the world, enabling forex and CFD investors the ability to trade the financial markets. Our vision is to transform how our clients can meet all of their currency needs with innovative and award-winning solutions. Under new ownership with significant ambitions to grow the business on the global stage, we are looking for highly motivated, passionate individuals who want to make a mark in a dynamic environment.
ABOUT THE JOB As a member of the Systems Engineering team at OANDA, you are responsible for providing the infrastructure to efficiently and reliably serve our applications to OANDA customers. You will manage the underlying hardware and operating systems to deliver a high-availability, fault-tolerant global platform spanning on-premise and multi-cloud environments. In addition, you will provide a platform for application delivery based on modern orchestration and automation tools to enable the product development teams to quickly and safely deploy, while ensuring continued adherence to OANDA’s security and engineering standards.
THINGS YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE TO AT OANDA
- Maintain all aspects of OANDA’s on-premise environment. Rack and maintain compute, storage, and networking hardware. Commoditize on-premise equipment and infrastructure management to offer a stable, high-availability on-premise platform-as-a-service.
- Develop, deploy and manage OANDA’s global, hybrid, multi-cloud environment, providing a cutting-edge multi-cluster Kubernetes environment on top of Google Anthos to increase redundancy and resiliency of our applications.
- Ensure reproducibility through readable code and concise documentation of all new work, incident remediation, and root-cause analyses.
- Drive a uniform adoption of cloud native technologies on Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services.
- Work with the network engineers on the design and configuration of network solutions such as hardware and software load balancers, firewalls and interconnectivity and routing between our production environments.
- Create platform-agnostic automations in Terraform, Ansible, and Packer to ensure consistency across on-prem and cloud deployments.
- Automating system administration of Linux, Windows and Solaris servers through Perl, Bash, Python, PowerShell, or your language of choice.
- Deploy modern distributed observability and monitoring tooling such as ELK, Prometheus, DataDog, and Splunk to measure Service Level Indicators and monitor adherence to Service Level Objectives. Manage integration and configuration of PagerDuty to alert product owners on SLO violation, and StatusPage for internal and external stakeholder notification.
- Automate on-demand reporting for internal and external stakeholders, to present information on performance against SLOs for each region and product.
- Manage, change, and release new system configuration changes, and establish monitoring for underlying infrastructure and services to ensure the platform is operating within our SLOs.
- Work on cross-functional teams to research and deploy innovative products and technologies that improve our velocity, reliability, and performance
- Respond to, and resolve production incidents. Contribute detailed feedback to our post mortem process, and translate event learnings into infrastructure and application improvements.
- Take ownership of the performance and availability of the systems engineering platform, and ensure we meet our internal SLOs through participation in a healthy on-call rotation and a strong bias towards automated recovery.
OANDA Global Corporation is a diverse and global team with offices around the world. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to OANDA. We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect and one which reflects the diversity of the community in which we operate. We provide an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.