Compliance Officer, Japan
We have come a long way since our first currency feed 23 years ago, we are an award-winning global company offering leading currency solutions for both retail and corporate clients, from a tech start-up to a global corporation. Founded in 1996, we became the first company to share exchange rate information on the internet free of charge and in 2001, we launched a trading platform that helped pioneer the development of online-based trading around the world, enabling forex and CFD investors the ability to trade the financial markets. Our vision is to transform how our clients can meet all of their currency needs with innovative and award-winning solutions. With significant ambitions to grow the business on the global stage, we are looking for highly motivated, passionate individuals who want to make a mark in a dynamic environment.
OANDA Japan is regulated by the Japan Financial Services Authority (JFSA), the Financial Futures Association of Japan, and Security Dealers Association.
Office location: Tokyo, Japan
About the role:
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day compliance activities, ensuring that all business activities and operations are in compliance with the various Japanese regulatory and legal requirements. As an organization, we are currently seeking licenses with Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) to enable CFD commodity trading and an additional Investment Advisory license from the JFSA. This role will be to ensure we are compliant.
Reporting to the Head of Compliance.
- Preparation of the Compliance Program, and execution of associated activities.
- Reviewing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with various regulatory and legal requirements. Ensure Compliance risks are appropriately identified and addressed.
- Advising business on all aspects of compliance with laws, rules and regulations.
- Approving firm marketing and advertising material, including website copy and FAQs.
- Oversight and management of customer complaint handling, including maintenance of internal complaint log.
- Providing advice and guidance on all AML associated matters, eg: onboarding new clients, funding referrals, etc.
- First point of contact for all compliance, funding, AML, and Account Opening related escalations, enquiries and approvals.
- Ownership of comprehensive compliance monitoring/ testing program, to ensure and provide assurance that all operations, systems and controls are operating effectively. Including the implementation of monitoring methodologies and test scripts to ensure the efficacy of control design and effectiveness in mitigating compliance and operational risk. Reviews to include the writing of reports, detailing findings and any resultant practical remedial actions/ solutions – which then need to be progressed to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Accurate and comprehensive recording as well as actioning of key metrics: vulnerable clients, fraudulent applications and clients, STRs, STORs and SARs, sanction and PEP (and adverse media) screening, etc.
- Maintenance of internal logs and registers: complaints, breaches, sanction and PEP screening results, fraud incidents, cyber incidents, platform downtime, training, STRs/ SARs, advertising/ financial promotions, etc.
- Management and administration of all employee regulated online e-training and face-to-face compliance related training.
- Oversight of all security related issues.
- Management of regulatory transaction reporting.
- Production and presentation of monthly Compliance reports to the Management Committee, and Corporate Secretary for the firm.
- Performing other Compliance-related responsibilities and ad-hoc projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6+ years of relevant Compliance experience at a similar type and size of investment/ broker firm.
- Knowledge of relevant Japanese regulatory requirements
- Fluent in Japanese and English - both verbally and in writing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as pragmatic decision making skills.
- Highly driven and motivated, organized with the ability to engage and influence stakeholders.
- Analytic, with attention to detail and an enquiring mind and investigative approach.
- Knowledge of AML/KYC requirements is highly preferred.
- Able to independently manage timelines.
OANDA Global Corporation is a diverse and global team with offices around the world. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to OANDA. We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect and one which reflects the diversity of the community in which we operate. We provide an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.