Live Exchange Rates - ZAR/JPY
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
ZAR/JPY at a Glance
South African Rand (Currency code: ZAR)
- Central bank: The South African Reserve Bank
- “Rand” refers to Witwatersrand, the ridge where Johannesburg stands that contains most of the country’s gold deposits.
- South Africa is a middle-income, emerging market with abundant natural resources and well-developed infrastructure.
- South Africa is the world’s largest producer of platinum, gold, and chromium. In addition to these and other metals, it exports machinery, equipment, diamonds.
- Relatively high interest rates make ZAR a popular carry trade currency.
Japanese Yen (Currency code: JPY)
- Central bank: The Bank of Japan
- Since its defeat in World War II, Japan has become one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced manufacturers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, and so on.
- The JPY has appreciated against USD since the 1970s, making Japan’s manufactured goods more costly and less competitive.
- The Bank of Japan keeps interest rates at near-zero, making JPY a popular “carry trade” currency against other higher-yielding currencies.