Live Exchange Rates - GBP/JPY
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
GBP/JPY at a Glance
British Pound Sterling (Currency code: GBP)
- Central bank: The Bank of England
- The pound (also called “cable”) is the world’s oldest currency still in use and was the de facto global currency until WW II.
- The economy of Great Britain (or the United Kingdom) is the third largest in Europe, after Germany and France.
- Napoleon famously called the UK “a nation of shopkeepers”. Banking, insurance, and business services still account for a large proportion of the British GDP.
Japanese Yen (Currency code: JPY)
- Central bank: The Bank of Japan
- Since its defeat in World War II, Japan has become one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced manufacturers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, and so on.
- The JPY has appreciated against USD since the 1970s, making Japan’s manufactured goods more costly and less competitive.
- The Bank of Japan keeps interest rates at near-zero, making JPY a popular “carry trade” currency against other higher-yielding currencies.