Live Exchange Rates - CAD/JPY
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
CAD/JPY at a Glance
Canadian Dollar (Currency code: CAD)
- Central bank: The Bank of Canada
- The Canadian dollar (CAD) is also known as the loonie.
- The CAD is called a “commodity currency” because Canada is a world leader in resource exports: oil, lumber, fish, food, and many types of minerals—copper, nickel, potash, uranium, gold.
- Canada usually has a modest trade surplus, with 70% of its exports going to the U.S.
Japanese Yen (Currency code: JPY)
- Central bank: The Bank of Japan
- Since its defeat in World War II, Japan has become one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced manufacturers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, and so on.
- The JPY has appreciated against USD since the 1970s, making Japan’s manufactured goods more costly and less competitive.
- The Bank of Japan keeps interest rates at near-zero, making JPY a popular “carry trade” currency against other higher-yielding currencies.